Saturday, December 23, 2017

Happy Anniversary to me!

In June of 2006, I was diagnosed with Early Interstitial Fibrosis, the start of Pulmonary Fibrosis. My biological mother died from it in 1995, four months after diagnosis. Probably why I have it. I read up on it and discovered it was considered terminal, with death usually coming 3-5 years after diagnosis.
I was still here and still working in June of 2010, when my lung capacity had declined so much I had to go on oxygen. I pulled an oxygen tank behind me to work for three and a half years, until it got so bad it forced my retirement on October 1, 2013. On December 23, 2013 I had a right lung transplant through the Madison VA hospital. Lung transplants are the riskiest transplant, as the lungs are open to the air, unlike other organs. Th three major killed of transplant recipients are rejection, infection and tumors, as you are immune-suppressed. So today is my forth anniversary. By this time about 40% of lung transplant patients have died. I’m well enough that I work PT as a writer-editor at the Madison VA. I can’t say enough good things about the VA. Thanks to my doctors, nurses, CNAs, physical therapists, respiratory therapists, pharmacists and others, I’m still alive and going strong. I continue to march! Thanks for all your prayers, thoughts and support. ~Bob 

1 comment:

  1. Bob,

    If it's of any interest to you, I've been doing surgery for about 25 years, and I periodically have it driven home to me that no human tissue, including your transplanted lung, has ever read a medical text, and therefore it will do whatever it wants to, statistics be damned. Congratulations on your milestone, and I wish you many more happy, healthy years.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete