Saturday, September 10, 2016

Free E-book: A State of Disobedience. By Tom Kratman

Free E-book: A State of Disobedience. By Tom Kratman

I recommended this excellent and timely future history novel on my blog sometime ago. Here's what I wrote: Tom Kratman, a retired Army LtCol, has become my favorite living science fiction author. (I have to say "living" because I have sat at the feet of Robert Heinlein since 8th grade-, 55 years ago.) Kratman writes military science fiction, some set in the far future (see A Desert Called Peace) and some, as with this book, set in the very near future. Thus, having been published in 2005, means it is now in the near past. Never-the-less, it is still as timely as tomorrow's headlines. Briefly, the federal government has fallen into tyranny, with de facto suspension of freedom of the press, freedom of speech and wide spread police powers established in federal agencies. All for the "good of the people," of course. But one state won't go along. A State of Disobedience explores the dichotomy between government power and freedom. This is Kratman's first published novel, but it bears all the touches of the master: believable characterization, intricate plot twists and heart-pounding action. History buffs will delight in picking out the many historical allusions in the book. For my health, I need about nine hours of sleep a night--and with A State of Disobedience finished, I can start getting it again. I highly recommend this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment