Saturday, November 12, 2016

the Left & Trump

The Left Really Wants Me to Support Donald Trump. By Dave Scharoun
Excerpt: In spite of all the crow that I have been forced to consume in the last three days, I remain proud to have opposed Donald Trump’s bid for the presidency. I outspokenly stood against Trump from the day he descended that escalator, and you can read all of that outspokenness in great detail on this very website. You can even poke fun at many of the assumptions I made that turned out to be completely and totally wrong. But as the reality of our situation became abundantly clear in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, I experienced something during his victory speech that I could have never predicted just a few hours earlier: a profound calmness washed over me. His victory address was graceful and poised, free of the unhinged rhetoric and vitriol that marked most of his campaign speeches. I remain skeptical of his ability to govern and deliver a competent presidency, but I began to come to terms with the fact that the decision had been made, and now all that was left to do was hope that he carried this newfound measured temperament into the Oval Office with him. My hope was that if I, someone who detested Trump and had opposed him for nearly a year and a half, could put aside my reservations and give Trump a chance to prove himself, hopefully everyone, even those on the left, could do the same. Nope! The left has done more in the last seventy-two hours to make me like Donald Trump than Donald Trump was able to do in sixteen whole months of campaigning.

No comments:

Post a Comment