Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Other Half of the Jacob Blake Conversation

 The Other Half of the Jacob Blake Conversation

Excerpt: But I know what images flashed before my own eyes the first time I watched the now-viral video of an irate Blake, 29, accused of serious crimes and obviously not keen on being arrested, storming toward his vehicle despite the clear commands of a police officer with a drawn gun. I saw a man named Daniel Clary turn a routine traffic stop into a nightmare for two Pennsylvania state troopers by reaching into his driver’s side window for the gun with which he would shoot and nearly kill them both, about 20 miles north of Bethlehem. I saw Deyon Rivas-Maestas attack Sheriff’s Deputy Bradley Proulx with a rifle the second he rounded the back of Rivas-Maestas’ car in Douglas County, Colorado. I saw Mario Hobson, just 45 minutes away from Kenosha in Milwaukee, so desperate to avoid going to jail on warrants for felony domestic violence that he opens fire on officers from a car holding innocent women and children. I saw Andrew Brannan execute Deputy Kyle Dinkheller with a firearm he grabbed from his truck while being ticketed for speeding in Laurens County, Georgia. Worse, I heard the deputy’s heartbreaking screams in the moments before Brannan put a bullet in his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment