Monday, August 10, 2020

The Singularity Is Near

The Singularity Is Near
Excerpt: “Red” and “blue” have profoundly different visions of the scope and structure of the federal government, and of the role of government in American life generally. They differ also on fundamental questions of religion, ethics, morals, and even human nature. Red believes that the American founding was a work of astonishing insight and inspiration and that it represents the best compromise yet struck by the minds of men to enable the possibility of ordered liberty and the individual citizen’s pursuit of happiness and prosperity. Blue seems to believe increasingly that the whole thing was a sinister power-grab by a cadre of rich white males, designed to preserve and consolidate their immoral supremacy, and that the whole thing is so rotten that it should be torn up by its roots and replaced with something fairer and nobler. (Blue has already revealed that it wishes to see the Second Amendment, the Senate, the Electoral College, and our nation’s borders abolished—and its grievances hardly end there.) [The author has a pessimistic view of things.  So do I. But, he does make a point I hadn't thought of: one alternative to "civil war" is "revolution." I can't see either one as a "good outcome." But, I also don't see any way to avoid the coming battles. Ron P.]

This is the second deadly serious essay I've seen about the dread possibility of the nation falling apart in the near future.  I look at what he write and wish I could find possible slant or errors in it, so that I could discount the level of concern he registers.  But I cannot.  The only thing I am sure of is that no matter who wins in November, many of us, and perhaps all of us, will find ourselves in a much worse situation in 2021 than we can imagine right now.  Personally I hope Trump wins, not because I think he's a perfect President with all the right answers, but because whatever his faults are (and he sure has some), the nation will survive four more years of him.  Maybe not happily and not without problems, but still remain much the same nation.  Whereas if Biden wins, and the Democrats take power, I am not sure at all that in four years any of us will recognize what the nation has become, and the conflicts will have intensified to a point where anything at all is possible.
 
We are living at a cusp in history, a fearful one.  May heaven somehow work a miracle and get us all out of this in one, free piece.
 
Del

No comments:

Post a Comment