Saturday, April 28, 2018

What Randa Jarrar Teaches by Craig Bernthal

What Randa Jarrar Teaches by Craig Bernthal.
Excerpt: Since Randa Jarrar fired off her disgusting tweet about “the witch,” Barbara Bush, being a racist, I, like other members of the Fresno State English Department, have received about a dozen emails asking, alternatively, how we could have participated in hiring her, and then, what we would do to get her fired. For the record, I had no part in the former and am impotent with regard to the later. This is now President Castro’s baby, and all I can say is, good luck, sir. I suspect she will be the albatross around Fresno State’s neck for as long as she wants to stay. The Barbara Bush tweet, which is clearly protected political speech under the First Amendment, and for which Jarrar should not and cannot be fired, doesn’t really get at the problem she poses, which is how the university deals with racial hatred aimed at whites? To fully understand why Jarrar poses this question, you have to look beyond the Barbara Bush tweet to her other declarations on twitter and Youtube. Here are a few: “I can’t wait for the old white guard of literary writers and ‘critics’ to die. Their time is fucking up too.” She refers to “fucking white women” in one tweet and in another says “fuck outta here with your white feminism. I said don’t at me bitch. I’m a professor.” “I’m buying guns, I’m an American. I’m buying guns. You know the other side is doing some stupid shit, I’m going to do some stupid shit. I’m tired of like being the bigger person. I literally am usually, but like, I’m also just tired of the left being fucking stupid, and like, we have to be gentle. No, don’t be fucking gentle. OK, you know resistance fighters in the 60 and 70s didn’t kill anyone but they scared the shit out of people, you know, they would hijack a plane and be like, they wouldn’t hurt anyone on this plane, but like, we’re going to hijack this plane. Like why is censor’s [?] house still standing? Like it needs to be fucking broken into, people need to throw fucking grenades into it. I don’t give a fuck.” (I have transcribed this to the best of my ability: see the speech as she gives it on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGk7Ar6tfA.

No comments:

Post a Comment