Saturday, April 21, 2018

Not Jewish

Video of alleged anti-Semitic attack in central Berlin sparks outrage
Excerpt: In a twist to the story, the author of the video tape, which went viral on social media, a 21-year-old student called Adam, said Wednesday that he is an Israeli Arab.* He told broadcaster Deutsche Welle that he wore the Jewish kippa gifted to him by a friend to see whether it was safe to do so on the streets of his upmarket Berlin neighbourhood. He said he filmed the attack as evidence "for the police and for the German people and even the world to see how terrible it is these days as a Jew to go through Berlin streets". "I'm not Jewish, I'm Israeli," he said. "I grew up in Israel in an Arabic family and I think that it was an experience for me to wear the kippa."

No comments:

Post a Comment