Wednesday, September 18, 2013

September is Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Month


September is Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Month

Pulmonary Fibrosis literally means lung scarring. This disease is very unpredictable. It can advance very quickly or very slowly. There is no medication available and no known cure. My Pulmonary Fibrosis is idiopathic; no known cause. This is a horrific disease and the statics are daunting:

• Every 13 minutes a person dies
• 40,000 people a year die (just as many as breast cancer)
• 50,000 new cases diagnosed every year in the United States
• 3-5 year life span after diagnosis

I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis in May 2009. Needless to say I was devastated! I didn’t think I would live to see 2010. It is four years later and I am still here by God’s grace and mercy, great healthcare professionals and a phenomenal support system that includes my children, siblings, extended family and friends.

Did you know that singer Odetta Holmes, actor Marlon Brando,daredevil Evel Knevel and JAWS author Peter Benchley all died from Pulmonary Fibrosis?

I need your help to raise awareness of PULMONARY FIBROSIS and funds for viable treatments and a cure. Over $1.5 billion was spent on Breast Cancer research last year while only $18 million was spent on Pulmonary Fibrosis research. Help me spread the word by telling your family, friends and co-workers about this disease. For more information, visit the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation website: http://www.pulmonaryfibrosis.org/
And visit us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PulmonaryFibrosisFoundation

Thank you for taking the time out to read this letter. I hope that you will join me in awareness and advocacy of Pulmonary Fibrosis. Please pray for me and my comrades with this illness.

RAISE AWARENESS***RAISE FUNDS**FIND A TREATMENT***FIND A CURE**

Breathe Deeply!
Christine

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this as more is certainly needed to put pressure on the public and our leaders to raise funds, find a treatment and get a cure for this horrid disease.

    ReplyDelete