Friday, February 3, 2023

 

Diné: A History of the Navajos by Peter Iverson (Author), Monty Roessel (Photographer)

https://smile.amazon.com/Din%C3%A9-History-Navajos-Peter-Iverson/dp/082632715X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Dine%3A+a+history+of+the+Navajo&qid=1675464215&sr=8-1

My wife and I became hooked on listening to the wonderful Tony and Anne Hillerman Navajo mysteries on CD in the car. That led us to wanting to know more about the Navajo Nation. As a Marines, I already knew and honored the Navajo Code Talkers who served in the USMC in WWII. This book is a comprehensive and sympatric history of the people, from which I learned a great deal. It made me want to visit the Four Corners area, though given my age, health, and finances, that’s probably not on offer. Bot the historical photos and Roessel’s amazing color pictures of the reservation are an added bonus. I highly recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. If you can make it work it will be worth the trip. If you can visit a bit farther north into (unfortunately turning Blue) Colorado, that is worth it as well. If you find someone to take you on a Black Bear Road trip (immortalized by Bill Fries (aka C.W. McCall) that's a definite bucket list item.
    My wife and I are hooked on the Hillerman stories as well. I also like Tony Hillerman's "Finding Moon". If you haven't read/listened to that, give it a try.
    Never wore the uniform, but thank you for your service, and Semper Fi from the son of a WWII vet.

    ReplyDelete