Bob's Microwave Scotch Broth
- 3 lbs lamb breast (with bone) or 3 lbs stewing lamb (with bone) or 3 lbs ground lamb, no bone
- cold water
- 4 tablespoons low sodium chicken soup base
- 2 cups barley
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 rutabaga or large turnip and large potato peeled and diced. (It is easier to peel and dice the rutabaga if you microwave it for 5 minutes and let cool.)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon HP sauce (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook the barley in 8 cups water for about 60 - 70 minutes in the microwave.
- Cut the lamb in small chucks. Add to the barley. Or cook the ground lamb first, break into bits and add. You may use both ground and cut lamb.
- Add the vegetables, chicken base, pepper, garlic, HP and vinegar, add water until ingredients are covered, and simmer in microwave at 50% until the meat and barley are tender, about two hours. Or use a crock pot/slow cooker.
- Add more water to adjust for any evaporation; skim the surface of the soup as necessary.
- Remove bones from broth if necessary; (cut meat from bone and cut in small pieces if necessary). Discard the bones and return the meat to the soup.
- Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender.