Sunday, November 3, 2019

55 years ago today

Fifty-five years ago today, I graduated from MCRD Parris Island and earned the title “Marine.” I have carried it ever since; I hope with honor and courage. That day, after 11 weeks, I said goodbye to my Drill Instructors, Sergeant William H. Harris (Senior DI), Sergeant Michael P. (PT) Martin, and the late Sergeant Ezekiel Owens, Jr. I never saw them again, but I did talk to Sgt. Owens twice on the phone, and sent him copies of the books I dedicated to my DIs. He died in 2013, a week or so before I had my lung transplant. I was with 11 weeks, and they’ve been with me every day since. They taught me to accept responsibility for my actions and to focus on the mission and get the job done. They gave me resiliency, tenacity and self-discipline. Because of my DIs, I’ve had a long, happy, and successful life. I thank God for them every day. ~Bob


And me then.

No comments:

Post a Comment