Monday, September 2, 2019

Random Thoughts for September 2019

Random Thoughts for September 2019

By Robert A. Hall
Feel free to post or forward.  

In GOP controlled states, the Democrats are pushing hard to end gerrymandering. In Democrat controlled states…silence.

Alcohol: Helping jerks be themselves for 5000 years.

A lot of people we’d consider “damaged goods” did the damage themselves.

Ex-Officio does not mean non-voting. It means the person holds the position by virtue of his/her office and can be either voting or non-voting. In 1974, as a state senator, I was ex-officio a voting delegate to the Massachusetts GOP convention.

Do not provoke the opposition.

Everyday my body reminds me that I’m past my sell-by date.

If Muslim screaming “Allah Akbar” murdered the Squad, the media would say they were peaceful immigrants provoked by right-wing extremists.

Old people always tell young people that life goes by very fast. And young people never believe them.

I was in a convenience store’s men’s room. There was a fold-down plastic shelf labeled, “Baby Changing Station.” Some wise guy had stuck a white sticker over the “C.”

I used to make whoopee. Now it’s more like “whoopsie.”

A couple was walking in front of me in our neighborhood, studying their phones. I said, “Lovely day to go outside to check messages on your phones!” He grinned sheepishly and said, “Better than indoors.”

Bureaucracy is the revenge of the “C” students.

It’s never too late to have a good day. Unless you are badly outnumbered in a fire fight, wounded, and low on ammo. Then it’s probably too late.

“Proportional response” doesn’t work. The terrorist or terror-supporting countries build it into their calculations. They are happy to take a hit if they can hurt you equally. See Hamas, et al. “Gradual escalation,” slowly turning up the heat in hopes they will come around, doesn’t work. It just gives the enemy time to adjust. See Vietnam. The only thing that works is massive retaliation, so their ability to hurt you is destroyed and the survivors will fear you for a hundred years.

I called the VA and said I needed to make an appointment. They said, “Yes, Sir, what department?” I said it doesn’t matter, I hurt all over.

Whether liberals or conservatives, I prefer the rational to the rabid.

Most people can stick to diets except for special occasions. Which come along two or three times a week.

Nobody has ever accused a government website of being “user friendly.”

Your life is mostly a reflection of the choices you have made. Fortunately, my big choices have worked out well, joining the USMC, running for the Massachusetts Senate, marrying Bonnie, most of my jobs. (But some of the small ones were stinkers!)

You tend to outgrow your desires. With my lungs, allergies, and legs, I no longer desire a convertible sports car. But you don’t outgrow your animosities.

Progressives have taken counsel of their fears and made them into policy.

People who say, “He’s as healthy as a horse” haven’t seen some of the horses I’ve bet on over the years.

What most of us see as the vicissitudes of life, far too many see as an opportunity to hit the lawsuit jackpot for big bucks. Thinking of the guy suing Popeyes for running out of chicken sandwiches.

Many people just don’t know when to quit. But I’m getting better at it now that I’m 73.

Get the collection! My “Random Thoughts” from 2009 through July, 2013 are collected in this book: The Old Jarhead's Journal: Random Thoughts on Life, Liberty, and Leadership by Robert A. Hall
The Old Jarhead’s Journal is a collection of Random Thoughts on politics and life and Conservative Political Essays, mostly published on the author’s blog, including the essay “I’m Tired” which went viral on the Internet in 2009, “The Hall Platform,” “This I Believe,” and “Why I’m a Republican.” While they will be of interest to conservative thinkers, they are collected here in book form as a service to readers who wish to give a copy to favorite liberals and watch their heads explode. All royalties are donated to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

*****

Robert A. Hall is a Marine Vietnam Veteran who served five terms in the Massachusetts State Senate. He is the author of The Coming Collapse of the American Republic. http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Collapse-American-Republic-prevent/dp/1461122538/ref=sr_1_5?s=booksandie=UTF8andqid=1304815980andsr=1-5 For a free PDF of Collapse, e-mail him at tartanmarine(at)gmail.com. Hall’s twelve books are listed here: http://tartanmarine.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-book-published.html. His blog of political news and conservative comment is www.tartanmarine.blogspot.com. He currently works part-time as a writer-editor in the My Life, My Story program as the Madison VA hospital, interviewing vets and writing up their life histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment