Sunday, February 17, 2019

Happy Birthday to a Marine buddy.

Happy Birthday, Friend. You are a credit to your Corps and Country. ~Bob
OK, today I'm reminded of the old musical and that catchy music. "76 trombones in the big parade" ​​Yep, back in prehistory of 1943 this was the day I arrived on scene. I just stay amazed that I'm still here, and have seen and done and lived through so much. When I was a kid, maybe 8 years old, I wanted a life of adventure. Well, be careful what you wish for, you just may get it! But when I reflect, the bulk of my feelings is gratitude. Grateful for being born in the USA, to good, decent parents, for being raised with good values, for the security and plenty of my early life, for the education I received both from the schools and from the older people I spent a lot of time talking with and listening to as I grew up. They included WW2 vets, Polish and Hungarian refugees, factory workers, housewives, relatives. For the ability to see the goodness of my country and its people, despite an ample level of experiences with bullies, bad teachers, disappointments, and learning more about history and the injustices of the past and present. For surviving the war with deep formative experiences and an appreciation for freedom that is a constant consciousness, and the bond with other vets that is one of the best parts of life. For the so many great people I've known, worked with, helped or been helped by. For the faith that lets me see every other person as a person, first and foremost, another child of God, with all the details like gender, height, weight, color of skin, eye, hair, etc, as just that.... details of no particular importance. And for the marriage, the family, that are the central meaning in my life, the joy of children, the warmth of a shared life, and now the triple joy of grandchildren. Yes, the road has had and always will have some rough pavement, even some jarring potholes, but the journey is still great. (Well, some parts of getting older are not as much fun as one might wish, but that's just how it goes.) In this increasingly scary world I have to hang on to the positive, and try to make the most of every day. To all my friends I want to say thank you for putting up with me, you add so much to my life. Peace....--Del

No comments:

Post a Comment