Saturday, September 1, 2018

Random Thoughts for September


Random Thoughts for September, 2018.
By Robert A. Hall

Feel free to post or forward.

People now often thank me for my service. I’ve expanded my reply: “It was a privilege to wear the uniform. I served with the best men God made.”
I could support a charity that would pick up and bus illegal immigrants to the walled compounds of the wealthy progressive elites, and give them instructions and tools for breaking in and squatting there.
Make things (like computers) are very unforgiving of forgetfulness, and the older I get the more forgetful I become.

“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” --Santayana (sometimes attributed to Plato). War is in the human DNA, going back long before human history. Otzi, the “Ice Man” found in a glacier in the alps, was killed by an arrow. If you could put a barrier around every country that would allow normal commerce, but keep out all hostile people and implements of war (planes, missiles, etc.), within 20-40 years, there would be civil war in each country. You may want nothing to do with war, but war is interested in you. If you are not ready for war, the barbarians will eat you, no matter how loud you sing “Kumbaya.”

The old verities and shared values like honor, shame, loyalty, patriotism, courage, fidelity, honesty, a common view of right and wrong and so on, have been driven from our society. Now the people who drove them out cry for a “justice” that can never be achieved without them.

It’s far too late for me to come from, “Old Money.” But I’m still willing to try, Nouveau Riche.

Tee shirt from my friend Andy: “The best defense is to not be there.”

“Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn human beings.” --Heinrich Heine, 1797-1856.

Some people will stab you in the back and then turn you in for having a concealed weapon.

“A politically-correct culture is an imitation fur coat—infested with real fleas.” –Peter Anderson.

More evil is done in the name of good than in the name of evil.

In the modern world, more people were murdered in the name of utopia than for any other cause. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pot pol and many others promised “utopia,” but they really wanted power to control people.

Loyalty to friends is telling them what they don’t want to hear.

I’ve done many small, stupid things in my life, and I suspect I’m the only one who remembers them.

Some people put too much into their jobs. Far more people put too little.

Solzhenitsyn said that the line dividing good and evil cuts through every human heart. Probably so, but in many hearts, it cuts through leaving 80% of one side, 20% on the other, of good or evil.

Since I left active duty in the Marine Corps 50 years ago, I have acquired a thin veneer of civilization and manners. But at heart I’m still a crusty old mud Marine, rowdy, profane and very hard when required.

For men who like plump women, or women who like plump men, America has become a paradise.

Euphemisms are getting worse. On TV the reporter said that two animals at the Denver Zoo “passed away” due to a hail storm. No, they were killed! Yesterday, three flies passed away in my kitchen. I passed them with a fly swatter.

If a teacher had told you at 14 how your life would turn out, would you have believed him or her. I think I would have.

In books, people's dreams always relate to the story. Mine never relate to anything in my life.

Billboard in PA: "You need the energy from fossil fuels to live. Stop the BS and waste of taxpayer money."

Whenever I see one of those roadside memorials, I take it as a homage to speed and alcohol.

We have an excess of celebrities who think they matter and a shortage of citizens who really do matter

Politically Correct is the modern tern for claptrap.

I don't have too little money, I have too many expenses, many of which are self-inflicted.

Family is in the heart, not in the blood.

Few things are as costly as always going for the shirt-term gain.

Bringing a child into the world that you cannot support should be considered a crime against humanity. Not to mention child abuse.

Getting out of bed seems like a bad way to start the day.

Being liked is a key part of a successful and happy life. And it’s in your control. Do people, including bosses and coworkers, want you around? Or are you one of those whiny, complainers no one wants around?

We are all playing the cards we were dealt. But some people spend all their time and energy whining about their cards or complaining about the game instead of playing it as best they can.

My cousin Bruce says, “As long as you have an unfinished reading list, death has to wait.” If this is true, I’ll live forever.

Sometimes a witch hunt finds witches.

Get the collection! My “Random Thoughts” from 2008 through July, 2013 are collected in this book: The Old Jarhead's Journal: Random Thoughts on Life, Liberty, and Leadership by Robert A. Hall
The Old Jarhead’s Journal is a collection of Random Thoughts on politics and life and Conservative Political Essays, mostly published on the author’s blog, including the essay “I’m Tired” which went viral on the Internet in 2009, “The Hall Platform,” “This I Believe,” and “Why I’m a Republican.” While they will be of interest to conservative thinkers, they are collected here in book form as a service to readers who wish to give a copy to favorite liberals and watch their heads explode. All royalties are donated to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

*****

Robert A. Hall is a Marine Vietnam Veteran who served five terms in the Massachusetts State Senate. He is the author of The Coming Collapse of the American Republic. http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Collapse-American-Republic-prevent/dp/1461122538/ref=sr_1_5?s=booksandie=UTF8andqid=1304815980andsr=1-5 For a free PDF of Collapse, e-mail him at tartanmarine(at)gmail.com. Hall’s eleven books are listed here: http://tartanmarine.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-book-published.html. His blog of political news and conservative comment is www.tartanmarine.blogspot.com. He currently works part-time as a writer-editor in the My Life, My Story program as the Madison VA hospital, interviewing vets and writing up their life histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment