Sunday, September 30, 2018

Book recommendation


Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J Dubner

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=freakonomics+by+steven+d.+levitt+and+stephen+j.+dubner&sprefix=Freakonomics%2Caps%2C201&crid=D0VC2CAL94Y7
A colleague suggested I read this book, and I’m glad she did. I knew about it for years, but the title put me off. I assumed it was another attack on free markets. It is anything but. In fact, the the authors say, quite correctly, it has no unifying theme. It is really their answers to a series of interesting questions, like do sumo wrestlers and real estate agents cheat, or what caused to sharp drop in crime in recent decades. Even if you disagree with them, I think you will find it both entertaining and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment