Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Book Recommendations

Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris; June 6 - Aug. 5, 1944; Revised. By John Keegan
This excellent book was given to me by my friend Dwight, a retired Army LtCol and the most knowledgeable person on military history I know. I have read a lot of histories by the late Sir John Keegan, but had missed this one. It covers the Normandy invasion in more detail than I had previously seen, including the events that led up to it and the inter-allied conflicts and many aspects that are glossed over in other accounts. Highly readable, well-researched and a must for history buffs..

Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill. By Candice Millard 

Having read Millard's earlier books, River of Doubt and Destiny of the Republic, and found them of great interest, I was delighted when my brother Tom gave me this one for Christmas. It went to the top of the pile. Though the story was well known to me, especially from William Manchester's excellent Churchill trilogy, The Last Lion, Millard gives us more details and she writes wonderful narrative, with a great eye for the key fact. Mu only quibble was that she covered Churchill's heroic service in the Sudan in a breezy paragraph. I think as couple of pages would have been worthwhile for readers who have not read The Last Lion or Churchill's The River War. You can't go wrong with anything by Millard.

Forbidden Thoughts by Milo Yiannopoulos, Tom Kratman, Nick Cole, Larry Correia, & 18 more

This is a terrific collection of Politically-Incorrect Science Fiction short stories and essays. I purchased the Kindle edition because Tom Kratman promised on Facebook that for every copy sold, a Social Justice Warrior would throw himself (or herself) off a tall building. While I can't afford enough copies to make Madison an American city again, I greatly enjoyed the book. Kratman's essay on the Rule of Racism for the Left/Rules of Racism for the Right is alone worth the price of the book. I thought "Test of the Prophet" was also a great story and the forward by Milo Yiannopoulos was not to be missed. Go ahead, think some forbidden thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment