Wednesday, October 19, 2016

After Trump

GOP After Trump. By Jim Geraghty, Morning Jolt
Excerpt: Yes, Trump got more than 14 million votes in the primary. It’s easily forgotten — or sometimes downplayed — that that amounted to less than 45 percent of the votes cast in the primary. More than 17 million Republican primary voters preferred one of the other candidates. Why on earth would the GOP continue in a direction that pleases 45 percent of their membership but doesn’t please the other 55 percent? Finally, we’ll know more after all the votes are counted, but there’s an excellent chance that Donald Trump underperforms Mitt Romney in almost every key swing state — both in terms of percentage and overall vote total. Judging by the polling numbers in noncompetitive states like Louisiana, Tennessee, and Oklahoma, it’s quite possible that Trump underperforms Romney in 45 out of the 50 states. Maybe he’ll go 50 for 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment