Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Update on my surgery

I’m back in the hospital. They did surgery Monday to debride the ”sough” (sluff—dead cells)that has formed on the juncture on the airways between the new lung and the old body, which has been blocking my air intake, causing coughing and labored breathing with light exercise.  The surgeon goes  down my nose and throat with a breathing tube, camera tube, suction tube and the slice and dice interment—pretty amazing. He took out a lot of slough, stretched the airway, but ran into a pocket of infection. So they held me, put me on several IVs of antibiotics, and will take another shot Thursday at more debridement. I have been back on O2 since the surgery, but the RT said that’s normal, as it stirs up stuff tha blocks air intake to the sacks in the lung.  My other numbers are good. I asked the surgeon for a prognosis and he said, “Too early to tell.” The pulmonologist said slough buildup “wasn’t super common or super uncommon. In many cases we’ve seen, the debridement fixes it. Ewe did have a case where the slough was too extensive and the patient died. So I don’t know at this point. Feel okay, just took a walk and did fine, so we shall see. More when I can. ~Bob 

13 comments:

  1. I did see that Bonnie called, but there was no message.
    You just keep up that Scots/Marine spirit. We will put in our request to the Great Spirit at this end to keep you around for awhile more. Your friend Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Bob. And I'm not much of a pray guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, this Skytrooper is behind the stubborn Marine! Prayers and Thoughts for and a rub on my Cav patch for good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our best wishes to you and hope you will soon be up and well. We hope to see you for dinner on the 16th! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your in our prayers.....cause we never stopped...lol. Get well my friend, so I can watch you jog around the block.....note, I said watch because I surely would fall flat on my fat face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, My prayers are lifted up in your behalf. I am asking our Lord, as our Yahweh Rophe, our Divine Healer and Physician,. to be with you and guide the hands of your physicians. Remain strong and know that He is with you. Pastor Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob....what is a little sough to a Marine. I mean really....seriously you remain in our prayers..
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. the folks from the mtns & here @ CLeJ are using our influence with the great surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Head up Bob. Some of the small battles we fight after going through a transplant. You are in my prayers, keep strong and motivated.

    Wally, VA #155 TX
    USN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Bob, you doubtless have not received many more messages because poor fools like us know not what to say. You have been so eloquent and so wise for so long, in this your hour of need, we are rendered speechless. Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. And yet I speak up because you deserve to hear something from we who call you "friend."

    I have sent your book on advice for boys to two of mine so far. Now to order some for the girls in the family. Your legacy will live on for decades.

    Get well and go home soon. Your first wife needs her hunka hunka burnin' love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, good buddy! Sending you all good thoughts, prayers and absolutely no negative waves from Moriarty (Kelly's Heroes). Keep marchin' soldier! Was cleaning the other day. Ran across a picture of us. Oh to be young again.
    Linda D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From an "Old Squid" This is no worse than the head to head with Laura:) Pulling for you my friend.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete