Monday, April 1, 2013

Avoid Google and G-Mail!


I've been recommending G-mail to people, even convinced my wife to switch to it. Not anymore. Google has totally trashed G-Mail. Their new "compose" feature is about the most user-hostile program I've ever used. The old one worked very well, except they were never able to figure out the advanced technology Outlook has to auto spell-check. Haven't been able to find spell check at all on the new one.  Everything is hidden, and auto populate screws up putting in multiple e-addresses, and you have to start the message over. I was able to temporarilly switch back to thir old highly-functional system, but that will go away soon. Not sure what I will do. Maybe I can pay them to get the old system? I'd like to find another provider, but my g-mail address is on websites, business cards and in my books, so they  may have me trapped into this torture. I may use another provider, simply forward eg-mail messages I want to respond to. Stay tuned. If one more computer erk "improves" something I use to make it unusable... Sigh. ~Bob

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, gmail sucks. You can use a free email client, one of these:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027870/four-desktop-email-clients-that-can-improve-your-gmail-experience.html

    Or if you want to stay browser based, you can use outlook.com (live.com/hotmail.com are the same too) and add your gmail account to it. I like the Outlook.com interface, it is nice and simple. This article explains how:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/other-email-accounts

    If you need assistance with any of this please let me know if I can help. I love your blog and would love to help if needed.

    Thanks,
    Gene
    gstrickl@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also have your email forwarded from your gmail account to whatever new email provider you select.

    ReplyDelete